Leadership isn’t about a title. It’s about impact, influence and inspiration.

–Susan Lytle Gilmore, Ph.D., Director of Adult Education, Sacramento City Unified School District
Professional Learning
Field Teams
About Us

AEP Questions and Answers

This is a collection of questions that are most frequently asked of the AEP Office. They are organized by topic area and will be updated as needed.

Do not use (Fiscal / Fees / Spending)

No. 2016-17 carry over will be spent first and subtracted from your allocation. Once that is 100% spent, then begin spending 2017-18 funding.

If a member has not followed your by-laws and has not submitted the appropriate paperwork to receive consortium funding, I would advise you to have the fiscal agent or designated member hold these funds until the consortium can meet to decide next steps.

The consortium should document the reasonable intervention to attempt to have this member comply with the consortium & state requirements. If after several attempts to help this member (and the state can assist as well), and you were not successful, then per education code 8914 (a thru c), the consortium membership could decide to reduce this member’s funding.

The 45 day trailer bill only applies to members that are in good standing. If you are having problems with a member complying with your governance/by laws, I would suggest you contact AEP TAP to document the problems, and work with them to provide technical assistance.

Once this process is followed and if the member’s fund are reduced, the consortium could reallocate these funds to other members in the consortium. But you would need approval from the state to do this and we would have to see what technical assistance was provide (and if it was reasonable).

For K12 adult school – CTE Adult School classes can charge fees. This doesn’t apply to community colleges. It looks like its member certification. If yes- it’s should be certified by the fiscal person.

The consortium certification is decided by the members of who is providing that administrative oversight. It could be the consortium lead, could be a fiscal person designated by the members, could be an outside auditor, etc.

The AEP fees policy that goes into effect 7/1/18 (and is posted on the AEP website under guidance) only impacts the seven AEP program areas. Parenting is not an AEP program area. It’s a gray area between what is K12 Child School Success under AEP and what is non-AEP parenting.

Fiscal Year 2018–19 AEP Program Fees Policy

Suggestion: define the difference between K12 School Success program and Parenting. Then bring it back to CTE for the OK on charging fees for the non-AEP parenting courses. It would be important to show the distinction.

It is an allowable use of AEP funds – but permission also depends on the local district agreements. AEP doesn’t negotiate faculty and teacher bargaining agreements. Whatever was agreed to by the district and the bargaining unit for professional development and substitutes – would be the local call.

The AEP Office is having meetings with the Govenor's Office to review the metrics, etc. They looked at the Allies framework and EL Civics COAPPs in finalizing the bill and are having discussions on what could be measured. As things evolve, TAP will host a webinar with an overview and to let people know they do not have to take any immediate action yet.

Hi Mary,

Please check out the following AEP Program Fee Policy at the following link:

For K12 adult schools, fees can only be charged for CTE courses. If the CPR class is part of a CTE course or pathway – then per the policy memo – it would be allowable (but only for K12 adult schools or COE programs – not for community colleges).

All textbooks and classroom materials furnished without charge under this section may also be offered for sale at the school bookstore”. In other words, textbooks and materials are provided for classroom use. However, students may purchase those items for home use from the school bookstore. (see above answer) Except as specified in Section 52613, the governing board of a school district shall not impose a charge of any kind for a class in English and citizenship or a class in an elementary subject.

Reporting expenditures of WIOA, Title II: AEFLA programs is a grant requirement under Sections 222 and 241 of Public Law 113-128. Report quarterly the total fiscal funds received from the state and local governments used to support these programs. Under “Other Non-Federal and/or In-kind,” report contributions such as:

• Cash and designated foundation grants or other non-federal awards used for AEFLA programs

• Buildings, land, and donated property–classroom space must be valued at the fair rental rate of the space

• Volunteer services valued at rates paid for similar work in the local agency

• Donated books and supplies valued at the market rate

• Utilities and property maintenance valued at the market rate

• Cost sharing of equipment valued at the fair rental rate

All resources must be verifiable from the local agency records. Additional details are provided in The Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards. (2 CFR 300.306)

Per the guidance, when a district submits their expenses it has been reviewed and approved by the district business/ accounting office. The consortium lead only checks to see if the expenses are in line with the overall consortium plan and the district annual plan. We do not want consortium leads responsible for approving or reviewing expenditures as that opens them up to all kinds of responsibility. But in other consortia, member share their expenses with each other and discuss openly what they are spending their funds on.